Environmental Health and Safety
Building Management Assistance Program
About Health and Safety
Metro ECSU's Health & Safety/Building Management Assistance Program provides on-site management assistance services to school districts by assisting districts in:
- COVID-19 Response Information
- Management and monitoring of air quality programs
- Management and monitoring of hazard prevention programs for industrial arts shops and school lab settings
- Performing annual courtesy Mock OSHA inspections
- Monitoring to assure compliance to regulatory agencies
- Offering training to comply with local, state and federal regulations on Chemical Hygiene and Unlicensed Electrical Training
- Identifying concerns regarding MDE Safety Policy Letter and assist schools with project submittals for MDE approval
- Representing districts when contesting OSHA citations
- Providing updates on opportunities for Minnesota OSHA match funding programs
- Providing update on actions involving legislation and fire code changes
- Online training programs in a wide variety of health and safety related topics through Coastal Training Technologies
Monthly meetings are generally held the first Thursday of each month from 9:00am to 11:30am at Metro ECSU, 2 Pine Tree Drive, Training Room (first floor), Arden Hills, MN 55112.
Upcoming Meeting Dates:
Nov 17, 2020, 11:30 AM - COVID Plans for Recreational Activities
Hear from Amy Larson, Risk and Litigation Manager for the City of Bloomington on their COVID plans for recreational activities. This session would be good for COVID coordinators, nurses, legal, risk managers, facilities, health and safety, activities directors and more.
Note: In an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19, monthly health and safety meetings will be held virtually. More information will be sent to members soon. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Bianca Virnig at email@example.com
There will be time for questions in each session but feel free to send your questions in advance as well. I will compile and send them to our presenters. These sessions will be open to non members for a fee of $20 per person or $50 per district per session. If you are not a member of the Metro ECSU or the Metro ECSU Health and Safety program, please contact Angela Skrade to register. Angela.Skrade@metroecsu.org
These meetings provide updated information to assist districts and schools in dealing with health and safety issues and developing programs that assist in compliance with regulations and mandates as well as the protection of health and safety conditions and materials in a school environment. Meeting topics have included:
- Employee Right to Know (ETRK)
- OSHA Recordkeeping and First Reports of Injury
- ADA Accessibility
- Science Lab Safety
- Emergency Preparedness
- Hazardous Waste Assessments
- Fire Code Updates
- Electrical Code, ARC Flash, NFPA 70E
- Fall Protection
Professional Development and Training
Metro ECSU aims to provide quality professional development and training for a variety of district staff. Registration for training can be done online by going to our Events Registration page (https://metroecsu.myquickreg.com/register/event/). Currently, the following courses have been scheduled at Metro ECSU.
February 10, 2021, 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM - Chemical Hygiene Training (virtual invite sent upon registration) - Event Flyer
Additional Training Resources
- Minnesota Department of Health Healthy School Environments Training
- Minnesota Department of Labor Continuing Education for Licensees
Metro ECSU, in partnership with Safe Schools, a world-wide leader in the production of work place safety training, offers a variety of internet-based training opportunities.
If you would like more information on the trainings offered please contact the staff below.
Bianca Virnig, Facilities and Environmental Health and Safety Specialist
Angela Skrade, Program Coordinator
Cooperative Purchasing Services
A wide variety of products are available with our program, the Cooperative Purchasing Connection. Vendor contracts are established through a formal bid process conducted by Minnesota Service Cooperatives (MSC).
More About Services
Metro ECSU Membership
Active membership in Metro ECSU is open to each public school district which has chosen to join the cooperative by paying the appropriate membership fees. With membership districts can participate and vote in the governance of the co-op.
More About ECSU Membership